A mate asked me to speak with his brother who feels stuck at a crossroad in his career.
Ahead of speaking I sent him these five questions that might be helpful to some of you:
1. What do you want? Not right now, but what is your grandest vision for your career and life?
2. What is holding you back from moving towards it? What would change that?
3. How do you dream your career and life will look after you’ve navigated this crossroad? Imagining looking back from that point now, how did you do it?
4. What skills or other capabilities would enable you to keep moving forward?
5. If we were talking two years from now, what would have needed to happen for you to be on track creating the career and life you truly want?
As you see, all of these questions are forward looking and specifically focused on what he might need to change to keep navigating his career.
While sometimes we can feel stuck where we are, when you “directionalize your mind” to the future and focus on the things that you can change, somehow new solutions magically appear…